News KuwaitNews KuwaitNews Kuwait
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
Reading: Former Trump Aide Andrew Giuliani Blames Jealousy for Mounting Criticism of FIFA President
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
Font ResizerAa
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Bookmarks
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News Kuwait > Sport > Former Trump Aide Andrew Giuliani Blames Jealousy for Mounting Criticism of FIFA President
Sport

Former Trump Aide Andrew Giuliani Blames Jealousy for Mounting Criticism of FIFA President

NewsDesk
Last updated: August 15, 2026 7:31 pm
NewsDesk
3 days ago
Share
Giuliani defends Infantino's FIFA record | AI-Generated Image
SHARE

Andrew Giuliani told The Athletic that criticism of Gianni Infantino is politically motivated and stems from jealousy toward the FIFA president’s high achievements that have elevated the organization to levels once thought impossible. The former White House official, who collaborated closely with Infantino on the recently concluded 2026 World Cup, emphasized that the tournament was the first secured under the president’s tenure rather than one inherited like the 2018 and 2022 editions. Giuliani argued that any football federation or confederation leader considering a vote against re-election would be committing one of the most foolish decisions of their professional lives. He further noted the event’s execution without major incidents as evidence of effective leadership.

“People are jealous when people are very high achievers – and what Gianni Infantino has done for Fifa is he’s taken them to a whole new level that probably they didn’t think was possible,” Giuliani said in the interview. “You’ve got to remember, this is the first World Cup that Gianni Infantino was president for landing, right? He inherited the Russia and Qatar World Cups, and did a good job with those, but this is the first one. It’s his vision on this.” Giuliani added that the 2026 tournament generated more than four times the revenue of the previous World Cup while staging the largest global sporting event ever. “If Gianni Infantino doesn’t get re-elected unanimously, then whoever voted against him needs to get their head examined,” he stated.

The defense arrives as Infantino faces intensified calls to step down following the withdrawal of the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal that aimed to sell around 20 percent stakes linked to the World Cup to private investors. UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation have all signaled they will not support his re-election at the FIFA Congress next March, a position joined by national associations including those from England, Wales, the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand, according to The Independent. In contrast a FIFA assessment found that the Confederation of African Football and South America’s CONMEBOL have endorsed Infantino for a fourth term. President Donald Trump publicly backed the FIFA leader days earlier on Truth Social, describing any move to replace him as a terrible mistake.[[1]](https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Soccer/2026/08/11/Donald-Trump-defends-Gianni-Infantino-FIFA/4711786455803/)

Giuliani compared the situation to past political targeting he observed with Trump, framing the outcry as an extension of similar tactics against successful figures. “Look, we are all human beings, and I think it’s one of those things where sport has become monetised and commercialised,” he told The Athletic. “I would just say that you have got to look at Gianni’s full body of work and to also realise that he’s always trying to improve his organisation, and I think that’s the thing.” The former aide acknowledged that the scrapped proposal counted as a misstep yet maintained it should not overshadow Infantino’s overall record of advancing FIFA’s financial and operational standing. FIFA figures show the governing body achieved record revenues in recent cycles, providing context for the claimed fourfold increase tied to the 2026 event.

A Deloitte report on the football industry projected sustained expansion in global event revenues through the end of the decade, aligning with the growth Giuliani highlighted under Infantino’s guidance. The proposal’s collapse followed an apology from Infantino after it drew accusations of breaching trust from multiple vice presidents. Giuliani urged confederation leaders to focus on the president’s broader contributions rather than isolated setbacks amid the increasing commercialization of international sport. New Zealand’s federation became the latest to withdraw support, further illustrating the divided landscape ahead of the vote.

Giuliani concluded his remarks by jokingly suggesting FIFA might require a “Save FIFA Act” in echo of Trump’s proposed “Save America Act.” The comments reflect the close working relationship developed during preparations for the co-hosted 2026 tournament across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Multiple confederations have outlined their positions in recent days, setting the stage for what could be a contentious FIFA Congress. Giuliani’s intervention adds to the public statements from Trump while the search for consensus on leadership continues.

Burgan Club Defeats Khaleej to Claim First Asian Men’s Club Handball Title
Newcastle United Confirms Passing of Former Star Kevin Keegan at 75
UEFA Nations Threaten FIFA Boycott Unless World Cup Sale to Investors Is Scrapped
Gulf Committee Meets to Resolve Champions League Semifinal Format After Delays
Defending Champions Al-Rayyan Face Hosts in West Asia Volleyball Semifinals
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
ByNewsDesk
News Kuwait NewsDesk is the desk responsible for News Kuwait's daily news coverage, monitoring and reporting developments across the Gulf from official sources, including national news agencies and government communications. Its focus is accurate, timely and factual coverage of the region.
Previous Article Kuwait Club Handball Squad Opens Preseason Training After Triple Trophy Season
Next Article Ministry of Justice Data Places Capital Governorate at Head of Kuwait Court Caseload
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
© 2026 News Kuwait. Published by Peninsula News Group LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?