News KuwaitNews KuwaitNews Kuwait
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
Reading: Trump Predicts Swift Reopening of Strait of Hormuz While Warning Iran of Major Strike
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
Font ResizerAa
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Bookmarks
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News Kuwait > Politics > Trump Predicts Swift Reopening of Strait of Hormuz While Warning Iran of Major Strike
Politics

Trump Predicts Swift Reopening of Strait of Hormuz While Warning Iran of Major Strike

NewsDesk
Last updated: August 5, 2026 7:38 am
NewsDesk
2 weeks ago
Share
Strait of Hormuz, vital oil shipping route | AI-Generated Image
SHARE

President Donald Trump expressed confidence during a Fox News interview that the Strait of Hormuz would reopen very soon while detailing how Iranian officials had reached out to request talks just before a planned large-scale U.S. military operation. “The Strait is going to be open very soon — or they’re gonna hit very hard, and then the Strait is going to be open,” Trump said. He recalled that his administration had prepared what he termed a tremendous attack, the biggest since World War II, before agreeing to negotiations after the polite request from Tehran to discuss the issues and finally resolve them.

The president underscored that blocking Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon left him with no alternative but strong action if the current talks faltered. “If they back out again, they’re going to get hit really hard,” Trump told Fox News. “They know that; they understand that. I have no choice. They can’t have a nuclear weapon. It’s very simple.”

Trump characterized the exchanges between U.S. and Iranian officials as productive even though Iran had not publicly confirmed any advances. “We’re having very good discussions,” he said. “The only thing that matters is action, and they want to make a deal. We’ll see what happens. If they don’t make a deal, it’s going to be too bad.”

A U.S. Energy Information Administration assessment found that approximately one-fifth of the world’s oil supply transits the Strait of Hormuz each year, making the waterway a linchpin for global energy flows that has seen repeated disruptions during periods of U.S.-Iran tension. The latest remarks from Trump follow months of heightened military readiness in the Gulf tied to the ongoing conflict. Shipping through the passage has been curtailed at times, contributing to volatility in international oil markets.

The current diplomatic track builds on earlier statements Trump made throughout the summer of 2026 in which he outlined a phased approach that would first secure reopening of the strait before addressing broader nuclear concerns. Reports from outlets including CBS News indicated that potential settlements had been discussed as far back as June with expectations of formal signings in Europe. Iranian accounts of the talks have at times diverged from the U.S. portrayal of progress.

Trump’s blend of negotiation offers and explicit warnings echoes his approach to Iran during his first term when tanker incidents in the same waterway elevated risks to commercial shipping. No specific timeline for the next round of discussions has been made public by either side. The administration continues to coordinate with regional partners on both the diplomatic and security fronts.

Kuwait Denounces Iranian Strikes on Bahrain Qatar and Jordan as Sovereignty Violations
Kuwait Calls on Iraq to Bolster Protection of Basra Consulate After Repeated Attacks
Kuwaiti Committee Revokes Citizenship From 344 After DNA Tests Expose False Paternity Claim
Kuwait Justice Minister Meets Envoys from Morocco and China on Legal Cooperation
Kuwait Voices Hope for Stability from US-Iran Deal in Call With Iranian Minister
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
ByNewsDesk
News Kuwait NewsDesk is the desk responsible for News Kuwait's daily news coverage, monitoring and reporting developments across the Gulf from official sources, including national news agencies and government communications. Its focus is accurate, timely and factual coverage of the region.
Previous Article Kuwaiti Security Authorities Probe Indian Expat Fall at Al-Mutlaa City Mall
Next Article Present Bias Is the Gulf’s Costliest Habit, Argues a Kuwaiti Behavioural Scientist
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
© 2026 News Kuwait. Published by Peninsula News Group LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?