Burgan Club announced the signing of veteran Spanish right-back Angel Hernandez on Wednesday to strengthen its handball squad for the domestic season and its debut at the IHF Men’s Club World Championship in Cairo next month. The player previously represented Portugal’s Porto, Qatar’s Al-Duhail, Kuwait Club and spent time on loan at Egypt’s Al Ahly, details highlighted in the club’s announcement. Hernandez becomes the second foreign signing after Japanese player Yasuhiro. Burgan Club said the recruitment forms part of efforts to build a competitive roster while retaining the core that delivered its historic Asian success.
The Kuwaiti side added local talent including Abdullah Al-Attiyah from Al-Qadsia and five players from Al-Salmiya, specifically Hussein Salman, Bandar Al-Shammari, Mohammed Al-Bahar, Hassan Rajab and Youssef Rajab, according to the club announcement. These domestic reinforcements are intended to complement the foreign additions and address specific positional requirements. Burgan Club indicated that the overall strategy focuses on creating depth for challenges on multiple fronts during the upcoming campaign.
Burgan will compete at the IHF Men’s Club World Championship in Cairo from September 24 until early October after qualifying as Asian champions, the club reported. The draw placed Burgan in Group B with Germany’s Füchse Berlin, hosts Al Ahly and the winner of the preliminary tie between Hungary’s Veszprem and Australia’s Sydney. Burgan Club has arranged an overseas training camp in North Macedonia from August 25 to September 20 featuring intensive sessions and friendly matches to raise physical and technical standards.
Following the North Macedonia camp the team will return to Kuwait before departing for Egypt two days later to complete final preparations for the tournament, Burgan Club stated. The schedule is structured to optimize readiness for the global event that represents the squad’s biggest test to date. The club noted that its recent Asian achievement provided the pathway to this championship appearance.
In a separate development Kazma announced the renewal of Walid Al-Enezi’s contract for a third consecutive season. He will continue serving the first-team handball staff as fitness coach, conditioning specialist and performance analyst. Kazma said the move ensures continuity in key support roles ahead of the new season. The club expects Al-Enezi’s contributions to enhance overall squad conditioning programs throughout the campaign.