News KuwaitNews KuwaitNews Kuwait
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
Reading: Kuwait Ministry of Justice Records 45.5 Percent Decline in Kidnapping Cases
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
Font ResizerAa
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • Bookmarks
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News Kuwait > Security > Kuwait Ministry of Justice Records 45.5 Percent Decline in Kidnapping Cases
Security

Kuwait Ministry of Justice Records 45.5 Percent Decline in Kidnapping Cases

NewsDesk
Last updated: August 16, 2026 10:51 pm
NewsDesk
3 days ago
Share
Kuwait Sees 45.5% Decline in Kidnappings | AI-Generated Image
SHARE

Minister of Justice Nasser Yousef Al-Sumait said statistics from the Public Prosecution showed a 45.5 percent decline in kidnapping cases during the first half of 2026. The total fell from 99 cases in the first half of 2025 to 54 in the same period this year. The minister added that crimes against honor and reputation decreased by 28 percent from 168 cases to 121 while the ministry’s figures documented varying reductions across other serious offenses related to violations of personal freedom.

Al-Sumait detailed further drops in the ministry data including a 50 percent decrease in indecent assault by force threat or deception from 76 cases to 38. Kidnapping of children by persons without custody rights declined 45.3 percent and kidnapping by force with intent to cause harm fell 64.3 percent. These outcomes align with developments in the criminal justice system that have reinforced legal safeguards the minister noted in his presentation of the statistics.

The minister highlighted the repeal of Article 182 of the Penal Code as a key factor in strengthening accountability. That provision had previously enabled a kidnapper to avoid punishment if he married the victim and her guardian requested exemption from penalty. The Cabinet approved the draft decree-law abolishing the article in April 2025 according to a report by the Kuwait News Agency from that time.

Current legislation prohibits the withdrawal of complaints reconciliation with perpetrators or issuance of pardons in cases of sexual abuse domestic violence against children minors or those lacking legal capacity and violence against parents by their children. The Domestic Violence Protection Law enacted in 2020 created a national committee to set policies against abuse and established shelters a hotline counseling services and emergency protection orders as documented in contemporary accounts by Human Rights Watch. These provisions have expanded protections for vulnerable groups the ministry assessment found.

Al-Sumait confirmed that the indicators match the government’s ongoing national plan to upgrade legislation and review criminal and procedural laws. The plan focuses on solidifying safeguards for rights and freedoms maintaining security and supporting the rule of law he said. The Public Prosecution continues to compile and release such data as part of efforts to track trends following the legislative updates introduced over the past year.

Kuwait Armed Forces Intercept Two Ballistic Missiles in Dawn Airspace Incursion
Civil Defence Contains Khaitan House Fire Injuring Two on Sunday Afternoon
Traffic Police Arrest Kuwaiti Driver for Traveling at 175 km/h on Jahra Road
‘Rumors Wreck Societies’ by Eroding Trust and Inciting Division, Kuwait Experts Warn
Ministry of Interior Announces 29 Arrests in Kuwait Drug Operations
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
ByNewsDesk
News Kuwait NewsDesk is the desk responsible for News Kuwait's daily news coverage, monitoring and reporting developments across the Gulf from official sources, including national news agencies and government communications. Its focus is accurate, timely and factual coverage of the region.
Previous Article Dar Al-Sabaek Report Tracks Kuwait Gold Climb to KD 43.6 per Gram
Next Article Sheikh Jaber Heirs Donate Dialysis Center to Ahmadi Health District
  • Home
  • Business
  • Community
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sport
  • About
  • Corrections
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
News KuwaitNews Kuwait
© 2026 News Kuwait. Published by Peninsula News Group LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?